Harrisburg, PA — The Department of Profits continues to warn Pennsylvanians of a new scam in which fraudsters are sending phony letters to Pennsylvania business enterprise owners to check out to trick them into turning above their accounting records. The fraudulent letters involve the Department of Revenue’s identify and logo, major the recipients of the letter to consider that they are beneath investigation for failing to pay out Pennsylvania taxes.
“This is another instance of the truth that fraudsters are doing the job just about every working day on frauds just like this a single so that they can steal from hardworking Pennsylvanians,” Revenue Secretary Dan Hassell stated currently as he appeared at a information conference in the Capitol Media Heart. “We want to do everything that we can to assistance teach the community so that they know how to establish cons like this a single and just take the acceptable measures to shield on their own.”
Understanding the Fraud
The aim of this scam is to make the receiver of the letter feel they are remaining investigated by the Department of Profits for an “alleged violation of delinquent income tax legal responsibility.” The letter threatens taxpayers by stating penalties will be imposed on their accounts. Even further, the letter contains call info for a “Resolution Officer” and urges the business enterprise proprietor to deliver accounting information organized by a licensed specialist, these types of as an attorney or CPA.
Giving this facts allows the scammers to comb as a result of the accounting records for delicate data these kinds of as bank account quantities and other financial knowledge, which could be used to make unauthorized transactions, ask for fraudulent tax refunds, and even apply for loans under the identify of the organization.
While these counterfeit notices bear the department’s identify and emblem, the notices incorporate suspicious and inaccurate particulars, typical of these types of fraudulent ripoffs, that can aid differentiate concerning a counterfeit see despatched by a fraud artist and a genuine detect sent by the Department of Revenue. Here are some guidelines to maintain in brain:
- The counterfeit discover does not consist of a return address. A detect from the Section of Earnings will generally include things like an formal Department of Profits tackle as the return tackle.
- The counterfeit discover addresses the receiver as “Pricey Organization Operator.” When the Department of Revenue tries to make contact with a small business through a notice in the mail, the detect typically addresses the business operator or business enterprise name.
- The phony see is very generic and does not incorporate any certain data about the taxpayer’s account. Respectable notices from the Section of Earnings will incorporate specifics, this kind of as an account selection and any liability owed, to give the taxpayer as a lot information as feasible. Fraudsters do not incorporate this unique data since they are seeking to cast a vast internet to lure in as quite a few victims as doable.
- The counterfeit see is despatched by the “Pennsylvania Department of Income Tax Investigation & Enforcement Unit” and claims the organization is “under investigation by the Pennsylvania Point out Income and Hard cash Disbursement Device.” While the department does conduct legal tax investigations and tax enforcement, the models listed on the counterfeit notice are phony. Access out to the division instantly, as encouraged below, to establish if the “Unit” named exists.
Tips to Avoid This Scam
The Division of Revenue is encouraging Pennsylvanians to hold the following guidelines in intellect to safeguard versus this fraud:
- Make certain You Are Talking With Authentic Representatives of the Division: This fraud utilizes the Office of Revenue’s title and logo to pose as a government entity. If you have any question at all about the legitimacy of a notice from the section, you ought to arrive at out to a office agent by using the On line Shopper Services Heart. This lets the taxpayer to securely post a issue as a result of a course of action that is quite related to sending an electronic mail.
- Look at the Notice: This counterfeit see made use of obscure language to solid a large internet to lure in as many victims as probable. Take a look at the observe for determining details that can be confirmed. Appear for blatant factual mistakes and other inconsistencies. If the notice is unforeseen and calls for fast motion, choose a moment, and validate its legitimacy.
- Conduct Exploration On the web: Use the information in a probably counterfeit discover, these types of as a title, deal with or phone selection, to perform a lookup on the net. The Department of Revenue’s site, income.pa.gov, is the best supply to verify information contained in a genuine recognize from the department.
Actions To Follow if You Have a Query
If you are involved about a most likely fraudulent notice, be sure to go to the department’s Verifying Call by the Division of Income webpage for a confirmed cellular phone range and speak to facts. This will support you make certain that you are talking with a legitimate consultant of the office.
Note: Pictures and videos from present-day gatherings will be out there at PAcast.com.
MEDIA Call: Jeffrey Johnson, [email protected]
# # #